Re: how to provide extra library paths?

On 8/31/07, P Kapat <kap4lin@gmail.com> wrote:
> No I am not sourcing any other file... I can provide the two files here if necessary..

That might be worthwhile.

> > set -x
> Ok, I did that. The outcome is the following:
>   When I login remotely (thru ssh) or on a VT, I see the variables from both .bashrc and .bash_profile, as expected I suppose.
>   But when I login to KDE locally, and start a konsole or xterm, only the .bashrc variables are printed out. This again I suppose as is expected that any new shell (either in konsole or xterm) is probably a non-login interactive shell.
>
> The funny part is though only .bashrc seems to be sourced when I start a konsole (or xterm) I do have the variables from .bash_profile available, except LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Is it possible that you're getting those variable from an existing
environment?  That is, if you set them session-wide, and then for some
reason unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Sticking a call to "env" at the top of
your .bashrc should tell you this.

> Is LD_LIBRARY_PATH the only way to provide extra library paths?

It's probably the best way to do so.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh