Re: how to provide extra library paths?

I forgot to "Reply All" my previous mail. Here it is:

Hi Michael,

On 8/29/07, Michael Marsh <michael.a.marsh@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/29/07, P Kapat <kap4lin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have the following lines in .bash_profile (bash is my default shell):
> >   export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/usr/lib:$HOME/usr/local/lib
> >   export LD_LIBRARYPATH="Nonsense" # just a stub
> > When I log into this machine from a VT or remotely (ssh) I have
> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH as expected (as well as LD_LIBRARYPATH). But, when I
> > login locally (to a KDE session) and start a konsole (or xterm)
> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH is absent, LD_LIBRARYPATH is present though.
> >
> > If I have the same lines in .bashrc, then both the variables are
> > present in konsole/xterm. So, something is "unset"ing LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> > after .bash_profile is executed.
>
> I'd guess the problem is just the opposite.  Your .bash_profile is
> only being executed for login shells.  If KDE isn't starting login
> shells, then only your .bashrc is being executed.

I am not quite sure about that because I have a lot of other variables
and things in .bash_profile which is available from konsole or xterm.
For example, my PATH is being set in
.bash_profile which ofcourse is available from konsole or xterm. And
.bashrc is being sourced inside .bash_profile.

> Is there a reason that you don't want to set this in .bashrc?

Not really! I am living that way right now. But ideally, a library
path need be defined once, shouldn't it?

> If so, you can probably
> change some resource (I'm not familiar with KDE) so that starting
> konsole or xterm opens a login shell, rather than the default
> non-login.  For xterm, the option is "-ls".  You might be able to set
> this from X resources as
> XTerm*loginShell: true

I will look into that soon.

> Of course, the fact that you're getting LD_LIBRARYPATH set seems a bit
> odd (to me, at least).  Does it have the value you set in
> .bash_profile?

Yes.

> Is that a KDE-standard variable?

Of course not! I was just playing with the variable name :) In fact,
as I mentioned earlier, I do have other variables (exported) in
.bash_profile which are available (with their appropriate values)
inside konsole or xterm.

--
Regards
PK