Re: how to provide extra library paths?

On 8/29/07, P Kapat <kap4lin@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have the following lines in .bash_profile (bash is my default shell):
>   export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/usr/lib:$HOME/usr/local/lib
>   export LD_LIBRARYPATH="Nonsense" # just a stub
> When I log into this machine from a VT or remotely (ssh) I have
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH as expected (as well as LD_LIBRARYPATH). But, when I
> login locally (to a KDE session) and start a konsole (or xterm)
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH is absent, LD_LIBRARYPATH is present though.
>
> If I have the same lines in .bashrc, then both the variables are
> present in konsole/xterm. So, something is "unset"ing LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> after .bash_profile is executed.

I'd guess the problem is just the opposite.  Your .bash_profile is
only being executed for login shells.  If KDE isn't starting login
shells, then only your .bashrc is being executed.  Is there a reason
that you don't want to set this in .bashrc?  If so, you can probably
change some resource (I'm not familiar with KDE) so that starting
konsole or xterm opens a login shell, rather than the default
non-login.  For xterm, the option is "-ls".  You might be able to set
this from X resources as
XTerm*loginShell: true

Of course, the fact that you're getting LD_LIBRARYPATH set seems a bit
odd (to me, at least).  Does it have the value you set in
.bash_profile?  Is that a KDE-standard variable?

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh