how to provide extra library paths?

Hi,

Firstly, this is not a Debian specific question, but hopefully the
solution should be universal. I have a machine (running RedHat EL4) on
which I do not have administrative access, just a normal user access.
I have extracted some rpm binaries in my home directory. I want the
following paths to be searched for shared libraries (along with the
default ones from /etc/ld.so.conf):
  $HOME/usr/lib
  $HOME/usr/local/lib
How?

I have the following lines in .bash_profile (bash is my default shell):
  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/usr/lib:$HOME/usr/local/lib
  export LD_LIBRARYPATH="Nonsense" # just a stub
When I log into this machine from a VT or remotely (ssh) I have
LD_LIBRARY_PATH as expected (as well as LD_LIBRARYPATH). But, when I
login locally (to a KDE session) and start a konsole (or xterm)
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is absent, LD_LIBRARYPATH is present though.

If I have the same lines in .bashrc, then both the variables are
present in konsole/xterm. So, something is "unset"ing LD_LIBRARY_PATH
after .bash_profile is executed.

What is the right solution? Is there a better solution than using
LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

--
Regards
PK