Re: smtp to bytemark.co.uk smarthost (was: using a remote IMAP server and smarthost)

On Tue, 2007.08.28 13:41, Richard Lyons wrote:
> On Mon, August 27, 2007 10:44, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 08:41:36 +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
> >> Done that.  Sending from the VM, now I get
> >>
> >> msmtp: the server does not support DSN
> >> msmtp: could not send mail (account default from /home/richard/.msmtprc)
> [...]
> > Maybe you need "dsn_notify never" and/or "dsn_return off". I am not sure
> > if this is really the reason for the failure or just a warning message.
>
> Update:
>
> These dsn settings do not help.  It seems clear that msmtp expects a
> DSN compliant server.  Bytemark, the ISP, suggested configuring exim4
> in forward-only mode, but I am not confident of my ability to get that
> right, any more than I did with my previous attempt to configure exim4.
> I decided to seek an alternative.  esmtp and ssmtp seemed candidates,
> but neither can be installed because
>
>   - ssmtp conflicts with exim4-config
>   - esmtp conflicts with exim4-daemon-light.

I haven't followed this thread at all so may be way off, but I just set up
msmtp with Mutt to forward to Gmail, and had some slight difficulty with DSN.
Gmail doesn't seem to support customization of DSN settings, so when I set
"dsn_notify failure,delay" and "dsn_return headers" Gmail complained.  Then I
set them both to "off" which should work for a server that doesn't support DSN.
Gmail still complained.  Then I realized that I had them set in Mutt as well.
After disabling them there, Gmail accepted mail.

So make sure that the DSN headers aren't getting added to mail somewhere along
the line.