smtp to bytemark.co.uk smarthost (was: using a remote IMAP server and smarthost)

[ I have changed the subject to get the attention of other bytemark
  users who might be able to help us with this problem: Richard has an
  account on a bytemark VM and he wants to send emails via the their
  smarthost. At the moment we are trying to configure msmtp properly on
  the VM for this task; suggestions for a better tool for this job are
  welcome. The goal is to have a sendmail-equivalent command working on
  the VM so that it can be used with mutt, executed remotely via ssh or
  by using port forwarding. ]

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 08:41:36 +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
> On Sun, August 26, 2007 22:53, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> [...]
> > Maybe the smarthost does not use TLS (an encryption wrapper) because it
> > is only dealing with internal connections from trusted VMs. I would
> > start simple on the VM, with this ~/.msmtprc:
> >
> > #-------------------------
> > tls off
> > host FULLY_QUALIFIED_DOMAIN_NAME_OR_IP_OF_SMARTHOST
> > from YOUR_EMAIL_ADDRESS
> > auth plain
> > user YOUR_USERNAME
> > password YOUR_PASSWORD
> > #-------------------------
>
> Done that.  Sending from the VM, now I get
>
> msmtp: the server does not support DSN
> msmtp: could not send mail (account default from /home/richard/.msmtprc)
>
> I tried with no auth and with auth off and get the identical result,
> unexpectedly.
>
> Reading the manual again, I see that DSN is Delivery Status
> Notification.  Although it is the default, I have tried specifying
> dsn_notify off, but still get the same error.

Maybe you need "dsn_notify never" and/or "dsn_return off". I am not sure
if this is really the reason for the failure or just a warning message.

> Info on the ISP's smarthost from their site:
>
> and we will relay messages that fulfill the following criteria:
>
>     * The envelope MAIL FROM: address must be routable (i.e. exist and
> have a valid MX record)
>     * The envelope RCPT TO: address must also be routable.
>     * To connect to the relay your host IP address must be in the Bytemark
> IP range.
>     * The message must be 20MB or smaller.
>     * Your machine is not sending more than 240 messages every 6 hours.
>
> Only the first two could be a problem AFAICS.   How do I get to see the
> envelope msmtp is trying to send?

Adding "logfile ~/.msmtp.log" to .msmtprc should give you more
information. These first two requirements are very basic; essentially
they are just saying that sender and recipient addresses cannot be
completely bogus. (The "from" line in the config file should take care
of MAIL_FROM and mutt should specify the recipient's email address as
the argument when it invokes msmtp.)

The MX record specifies the servers for incoming mail; you can check it
like this:

dig MX the-place.net

(Dig is part of the "dnsutils" package.)

> I also ran msmtp -S which gives:
>
> SMTP server at smtp.bytemark.co.uk (tallyho.bytemark.co.uk
> [80.68.81.166]), port 25:
>     tallyho.bytemark.co.uk ESMTP Exim 4.50 Mon, 27 Aug 2007 08:29:32 +0100
> Capabilities:
>     SIZE 20971520:
>         Maximum message size is 20971520 bytes = 20.00 MB
>     PIPELINING:
>         Support for command grouping for faster transmission

At least we know now that they have Exim listening on port 25 and that
"tls off" is correct. What we are doing should work in principle.
(Famous last words...)

> Where now?

It might be time to contact bytemark's technical support.

          Florian   |