Re: using a remote IMAP server and smarthost

On Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 17:30:12 +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
> I've been trying to solve this for about three years now.  Every few
> months, when I have a moment, I try again.  It is not a specifically
> debian issue, but someone here must have a similar setup.
>
> I have an IMAP server on a remote vm.  I access it with mutt because it
> sucks least.  But when I want to send mail, I have to open a webmail
> interface (squirrel as it happens) because that way I am logged on to
> the server, and not blocked from sending.  I send from the server via
> the supplier's smarthost, which obviously will not relay for me from any
> other IP.  Similarly my vm will not relay from wherever I happen to be
> so I cannot use mutt on my local machine to send.
>
> I have tried repeatedly to set up some sort of secure logon for the mutt
> connection to courier IMAP, but I do not understand the technology, and
> following various step-b-step guides has always failed with an error
> not predicted in the guide.  I gather something called TLS is needed.
> Perhaps there are other ways. Perhaps I should try a different
> combination on the server than the default exim4 + courier IMAP.  Can
> anybody advise me how to proceed?

Can you log in on the vm via ssh? Is a sendmail-equivalent command
available to you there? There are various tricks that can be played with
ssh tunneling and/or with remotely running sendmail via ssh. (I'll be
happy to provide more details if an ssh-based approach is feasible for
you.)

          Florian   |