Re: smtp to bytemark.co.uk smarthost (was: using a remote IMAP server and smarthost)

On Mon, August 27, 2007 10:44, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> [ I have changed the subject to get the attention of other bytemark
>   users who might be able to help us with this problem: Richard has an
>   account on a bytemark VM and he wants to send emails via the their
>   smarthost. At the moment we are trying to configure msmtp properly on
>   the VM for this task; suggestions for a better tool for this job are
>   welcome. The goal is to have a sendmail-equivalent command working on
>   the VM so that it can be used with mutt, executed remotely via ssh or
>   by using port forwarding. ]

Smart move -- thanks Florian.

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 08:41:36 +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
>>  How do I get to see the
>> envelope msmtp is trying to send?
>
> Adding "logfile ~/.msmtp.log" to .msmtprc should give you more
> information.

Here is the log that resulted:

  Aug 27 15:18:11 host=smtp.bytemark.co.uk tls=off auth=off
  from=richard@the-place.net recipients=richard_lyons2000@yahoo.com
  errormsg='the server does not support DSN' exitcode=EX_UNAVAILABLE

> These first two requirements are very basic; essentially
> they are just saying that sender and recipient addresses cannot be
> completely bogus. (The "from" line in the config file should take care
> of MAIL_FROM and mutt should specify the recipient's email address as
> the argument when it invokes msmtp.)

Ah, do I need to add parameters to the command in .muttrc? at present
it says
  set     sendmail="/usr/bin/msmtp"
  set     sendmail_wait=0
[...]

> dig MX the-place.net

That looks okay, points to the right IP.
[...]
> It might be time to contact bytemark's technical support.

You are probably right.  I'll give them a call.

--
richard