Re: using a remote IMAP server and smarthost

On Sun, August 26, 2007 15:27, Alex Samad wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 11:06:14AM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
>> On Sat, August 25, 2007 23:27, Florian Kulzer wrote:
[...]
>> > Mutt (or any
>> > other MUA) on the local computer can now simply be configured to use
>> > localhost, port 2525 as its smtp server.
>>
>> I find the whole mail process absurdly confusing, and nobody seems to
>> have written a lucid explanation of how the bits fit together.
>
> try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Mail_Transfer_Protocol
>
> smtp server move email around until the email get to a server that accepts
> it a
> local.  You read mail from the that server via POP or IMAP or because it
> has
> been delivered locally (mbox or maildir).
>
> pop is the older style system, you connect to the server and then take all
> your
> mail.
>
> imap lets you do the above, but also lets you leave the mail on the server
> -
> all in one place.
>

> to send mail you use a mail agent that let you create a mail message and
> enter
> it into the smtp network (via you smtp server).  Because of spam, most
> (well
> configured) server do not allow relaying through them except for certain
> clients/hosts/networks.
[...]

Thanks Alex, but I do have a general picture of the process.  What is
missing is the bit in the middle, between the general schema and the
nitty-gritty of exim4's myriad configuration files.

In particular, to complete doing what Florian suggested, I need to know
how to get mail from mutt to port 2525. Either through exim4 or otherwise
if there is a simpler route.

--
richard