Re: using a remote IMAP server and smarthost

On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 11:06:14AM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
> On Sat, August 25, 2007 23:27, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> [...]
> > In the following I will assume that your ~/.ssh/config is set up such
> > that you can use "ssh myvm" to log in on the vm. (This allows me to keep
> > the command syntax simple and in any case I think it is a good approach
> > in practice.) I would also recommend to set up public key authentication
>
> I have set up the alias for ssh, and created a key for authentication.
>
> > and to use ssh-agent, to avoid having to type your password whenever you
> > send mail.
>
> I read the man page for ssh-agent, but am not much the wiser.  Still, I
> figure I can try without it for now...
>
> > Method 1:
> > ---------
> >
> > You can forward a local port via ssh like this:
> >
> > ssh -N -L 2525:smtp.smarthost.tld:25 myvm
> >
> > This command establishes an ssh connection to myvm. Everything that is
> > sent to port 2525 on your local computer will be forwarded to myvm and
> > then myvm will pass it on to smtp.smarthost.tld, port 25. This is like a
> > mini-VPN for only one port; you have to run this command before you send
> > mail(s) and you can cancel it (CTRL-C) when you are done. Mutt (or any
> > other MUA) on the local computer can now simply be configured to use
> > localhost, port 2525 as its smtp server.
>
> I find the whole mail process absurdly confusing, and nobody seems to
> have written a lucid explanation of how the bits fit together. I read

try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Mail_Transfer_Protocol

smtp server move email around until the email get to a server that accepts it a
local.  You read mail from the that server via POP or IMAP or because it has
been delivered locally (mbox or maildir).

pop is the older style system, you connect to the server and then take all your
mail.

imap lets you do the above, but also lets you leave the mail on the server -
all in one place.

to send mail you use a mail agent that let you create a mail message and enter
it into the smtp network (via you smtp server).  Because of spam, most (well
configured) server do not allow relaying through them except for certain
clients/hosts/networks.