Re: wmv

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 11:15:40 +0000 (UTC)

> > Please how do I play wmv files on ubuntu?
>
> What do the Ubuntu forums say?
>
> (I can tell you how to do it on Debian, but Ubuntu is... different
> in subtle ways.)

Yes, but I'm sure the process of enabling the playing of different
codecs in Ubuntu is wonderful.  It likely involves something
akin to happy beautiful people gathering in a circle, holding hands, and
smiling in feisty breezy dapper love of Canonical Ltd.

The Ubuntu site had some info at
https://help.ubuntu.com/7.04/musicvideophotos/C/codecs.html.  I gather
you need to enable all of Ubuntu's "humanity to others" repositories
(such as Universe, Multiverse, etc).

Another option, instead of worrying about gstreamer plugins, is perhaps
to simply install the w32codecs package, and perhaps also installing
mplayer, should work.

For me, I find I need to shoot high doses of insulin whenever I look at
Canonical's sugary sweet Ubuntu site; so, it's no wonder you're looking
here for your answers.

Good luck,
Mark