Re: How to disable ipv6

On Sunday 26 August 2007 15:34, Alber wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Have the same problem on Debian Etch.
>
> What have been done:
> in /etc/modprobe.d/aliases
> alias net-pf-10 ipv6 changed to
> alias net-pf-10 off
> alias ipv6 off (problem exist)
>
> on next stage:
> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
> blacklist ipv6 (problem exist)
>
> on next stage:
> adding alias net-pf-10 off
> alias ipv6 off
> to created /etc/modprobe.d/00local (problem exist)
>
> on next stage:
> adding blacklist ipv6 to /etc/modprobe.d/aliases
>
> Result:
> I've get rid of boot delay but still have "ipv6 over ipv4 tunneling" on
> boot + "inet6 addr" on ifconfig.
>
> Please, help to disable this ipv6.

The same problem has been asked on the Fedora list today, and one of the
replies was to make an entry in /etc/modprobe.conf as below:
install ipv6 /bin/true

I've sent stuff to /bin/true before, and it's worked ok, and the modules arn't
loaded. I tried it on my Lenny install, and sure enough ipv6 is no longer
seen in lsmod. Just to check it out, I commented out the line, rebooted, and
checked lsmod a gain, and ipv6 is back.

I'm never too sure where to put these things in /etc/modprobe.d, but for sound
card related stuff, TV card options, webcam options, I've put them
in /etc/modprobe.d/sound. Thats where I put "install ipv6 /bin/true" , and it
appears to work ok. If someone can suggest a better place, I'm listening.

For these sort of options/alias/install lines, it's a bit more straightforward
on Fedora, as it all goes in /etc/modprobe.conf, but on the other
hand /etc/modules on Debian, makes it really easy to add modules you want
loaded at bootup. There's no such file with Fedora. It's a case of, you win
some you lose some, depending on the distro you're using.

All the best.

Nigel.