Re: Poor Xorg performance in Etch

On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 10:42:22AM -0400, Marty wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> >>and >this problem does not occur in my other Etch system.  Secondly, top
> >>shows >only one CPU pegged at 100%, while the overall CPU  utilization is
> >>50%, >suggesting that the other CPU is idle.  Taken together these seem
> >>to >suggest a possible SMP or motherboard issue (MSI K9MM-V).
> >>
> >>I posted too soon. Apparently the image setting had not taken hold, and
> >>when I did disable it the problem went away, both in Iceape and
> >>Konqueror. This seems odd because the page is mostly text, with only a
> >>few small images.  Now I am guessing there is some kind of image library
> >>issue.
> >
> >Just to clarify what you're seeing in top: 0.0%wa ?
>
> I'm not sure I understand myself.  I stopped it while scrolling and copied
> the first few lines below:
>
> Tasks: 126 total,   2 running, 124 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
> Cpu(s): 49.9%us,  4.8%sy,  0.0%ni, 45.1%id,  0.2%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si,
> 0.0%st

You have the (1) toggle on so that all CPUs are aggregated into Cpu(s).
Turn off the toggle to get a separate line for each CPU.  According to
this your system is idle about half the time.  I suspect that one
processor (the one running Xorg) is going flat out and the other is
idle.  I don't know if Xorg is multi-threaded and able to run on
multiple CPUs or single threaded where SMP doesn't help.  Hopefully, the
application can use the other CPU to spread the load.

> Mem:   2073092k total,  1917620k used,   155472k free,    18832k buffers
> Swap:  6434024k total,        0k used,  6434024k free,  1631596k cached
>
>   PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
>  3353 root      15 -10 98128  24m 6460 R  100  1.2  10:36.02 Xorg

If you have Irix mode set, then Xorg is using 100% of the CPU on which
it is running.  If you have Solaris mode set, then Xorg is using 100% of
all CPUs, for the time period since the last refresh.

Doug.