Re: Poor Xorg performance in Etch

On Sat, Aug 18, 2007 at 09:10:32PM -0400, Marty wrote:
> Andrei Popescu wrote:

> For 2D apps it should be very fast.  Its responsiveness seems normal under
> moderate graphics load, only a few percent of the CPU, but jumps to 100%
> under heavy load, such as scolling up a large web page (i.e. a blog),

Can you give an example?

> opening a web page, starting or stopping an X app.  When I enabled on

It's normal to use 100% CPU, you do want the app started as soon as
possible, don't you? ;) The question is for how long. Iceweasel takes
about 4 seconds (counted) to start on my P4 1.6, Intel on-board, 512 MB
RAM.

> If I enable the frame buffer (which I did since my last post):
>
> (EE) RADEON(0): MergedFB does not work with Option UseFBDev, MergedFB mode
> is disabled
>
> I also get the following warnings:
>
> (WW) RADEON(0): DRI init changed memory map, adjusting ...
> (WW) RADEON(0):   MC_FB_LOCATION  was: 0x1fff0000 is: 0x1fff0000
> (WW) RADEON(0):   MC_AGP_LOCATION was: 0xffffffc0 is: 0xe07fe000
> (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x23
>
> The last one is followed by several similar lines.  The framebuffer does
> not seem to affect the freeze issue.

I'm not familiar with radeon cards, but if you suspect a driver issue
you could try the generic vesa driver.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)