Re: Confused about kernel source location

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Frank McCormick wrote:

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 14:28:41 -0400
Jose Luis Rivas Contreras <ghostbar38@gmail.com> wrote:

Frank McCormick wrote:
I downloaded and installed the source for the current kernel,
which aptitude dumped into /usr/src.  Reading the readme, one of
the first things it says is " DO NOT USE THE /usr/src area"
because that is where the headers for libc I guess are stored.
What is up here ?

Well, I always store there all the sources related with my kernel,
modules, etc... I haven't get any problem... BTW, remember doing the
symlink to /usr/src/linux from your kernel-source.

   Well then why the warning from the Kernel developers? And what's
this about symlinking? Symlinking what to what ?

  Anybody? Where do people dump their kernel source anyway???

When I compile my own kernels, I usually put them in /usr/local/src/ , then make a symlink from linux-version to kernel. That way, when a new kernel comes out i just remove the symlink from the old to the new. I find it's easier to do it that way when I have to recompile modules, that way I always point the config to /usr/local/src/kernel . I leave /usr/src out, because thats where the debian kernel source files will go if I need to download them and I dont want things to get confused.

8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.