Re: Confused about kernel source location

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 14:28:41 -0400
Jose Luis Rivas Contreras <ghostbar38@gmail.com> wrote:

> Frank McCormick wrote:
> >

> > I have taken the first steps towards compiling an Nvidia module for
> > my Quadro-pro card...
> > I downloaded and installed the source for the current kernel, which
> > aptitude dumped into /usr/src.  Reading the readme, one of the first
> > things it says is " DO NOT USE THE /usr/src area" because that is
> > where the headers for libc I guess are stored. What is up here ?
>
> Well, I always store there all the sources related with my kernel,
> modules, etc... I haven't get any problem... BTW, remember doing the
> symlink to /usr/src/linux from your kernel-source.

   Well then why the warning from the Kernel developers? And what's
this about symlinking? Symlinking what to what ?

>  And as
> > I rarely decompress files, I have forgotten the command to
> > decompress tar/bz2 files .
>
> That's why man exists :) `man tar', and even more simple!:
> `tar --help'...
>
> Anyway
>
> tar -jxf linux-2.6.x.x.tar.bz2

   Thanks for that. I should have RTFM !

Cheers

--
    Change the world one loan at a time - visit Kiva.org to find out how