Re: Confused about kernel source location

Ed Jabbour(ejbr@comcast.net) is reported to have said:
> On Tuesday 14 August 2007 21:27, Wayne Topa wrote:
> > >    Anybody? Where do people dump their kernel source anyway???
> >
> > I have always put my kernels in /usr/src.  First time I've _ever_
> > heard of " DO NOT USE THE /usr/src area".  Just what readme did you
> > see _that_ in?
>
> From linux-source-2.6.18/README:
> ========================
> INSTALLING the kernel:
>
>  - If you install the full sources, put the kernel tarball in a
>    directory where you have permissions (eg. your home directory) and
>    unpack it:
>
> 	*		*		*		*
> Do NOT use the /usr/src/linux area! This area has a (usually
>    incomplete) set of kernel headers that are used by the library header
>    files.  They should match the library, and not get messed up by
>    whatever the kernel-du-jour happens to be.

Thanks Ed

I'm running 2.6.21-1-amd64 so had to go to another box to check.  Yes
I see that in the 2.6.18 source.  For what it's worth, there is no
such README in the 2.6.21-1-amd64 source dir, which is installed in
/usr/src, by aptitude.  Interesting.....

Wayne

--
Why do we want intelligent terminals when there are so many stupid
users?