Confused about kernel source location

I have taken the first steps towards compiling an Nvidia module for my
Quadro-pro card...
I downloaded and installed the source for the current kernel, which
aptitude dumped into /usr/src.  Reading the readme, one of the first
things it says is " DO NOT USE THE /usr/src area" because that is
where the headers for libc I guess are stored. What is up here ? And as
I rarely decompress files, I have forgotten the command to decompress
tar/bz2 files .

Thanks

Cheers

 --
    Change the world one loan at a time - visit Kiva.org to find out how