Re: Confused about kernel source location

Frank McCormick wrote:

> I have taken the first steps towards compiling an Nvidia module for my
> Quadro-pro card...
> I downloaded and installed the source for the current kernel, which
> aptitude dumped into /usr/src.  Reading the readme, one of the first
> things it says is " DO NOT USE THE /usr/src area" because that is
> where the headers for libc I guess are stored. What is up here ?

Well, I always store there all the sources related with my kernel,
modules, etc... I haven't get any problem... BTW, remember doing the
symlink to /usr/src/linux from your kernel-source.
 And as
> I rarely decompress files, I have forgotten the command to decompress
> tar/bz2 files .

That's why man exists :) `man tar', and even more simple!:
`tar --help'...

Anyway

tar -jxf linux-2.6.x.x.tar.bz2

Regards,
Jose Luis.
--

ghostbar on debian linux 'sid' 2.6.22 x86_64-SMP - #382503
Weblog: http://ghostbar.ath.cx/ - http://linuxtachira.org