Re: bash vs. python scripts - which one is better?

Hi Vincent,

On 8/9/07, Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.org> wrote:

zsh is more powerful, e.g. recursive globbing, MULTIOS, more powerful
parameter expansion, tied parameters...

In fact, zsh is better mainly for interactive use (better completion
mechanisms, multiline editor).

I'll take a look at their website.

Well, I find Perl easier to understand. The problem may be with some
programmers who don't know how to write readable code... Now, the thing
I really hate concerning python is that it is sensitive to indentation;
this means that some operations like copy-paste or inserting a loop can
easily destroy code. And "diff -b" or "diff -w" can't be used reliably.

Well, that's a major disadvantage to me too.

Also you need to take other things into account:
  * What the language can express and what you need ( e.g. closures,
    etc.).

OK. On my Amiga I had not so much choice, so in many cases, I had to
do some work-around in order to achieve what I wanted. But in Linux, waw,
it is so comprehensive that the choices are somewhat overwhelming.

Thanks for your reply, Manon.