Re: bash vs. python scripts - which one is better?

On 8/7/07, Manon Metten <manon.metten@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to learn bash or python scripting.
>
> - Which one is easiest to learn?

Python I guess.

> - Which one is more powerful?

Python.

> - Can I execute /bin commands from within a python script
>   (something like mkdir or ls)?

Yes.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lpython/chapter/ch09.html#13504

> Or should I learn bash scripting anyway?

Yes :) I learnt Perl because I didn't want to learn Bash. But once
in a while I'd like to be fluent in Bash so I can write nice one-liners.
Nowadays I replaced Perl with Python, but I still use Perl from time
to time (to write one-liners mostly).

> Please, let me know your experiences.

Learn how to use 'find'. It's very useful.
Also regular expressions.

You might want to check the OS module, and look for some
examples.

http://docs.python.org/lib/module-os.html

Regards,
N.-