Re: bash vs. python scripts - which one is better?

On 2007-08-08 18:52:11 +0200, Manon Metten wrote:
> Hi Nelson,
>
> On 8/8/07, Nelson Castillo <nelsoneci@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Why did you switch from Perl to Python?
> >
> > I found the code I wrote easier to understand. But as I said before,
> > I still use Perl for some tasks.
>
> OK. I forgot to mention Perl in my initial question. But if the code is
> easier to understand I guess I better try to learn Python first.

Well, I find Perl easier to understand. The problem may be with some
programmers who don't know how to write readable code... Now, the thing
I really hate concerning python is that it is sensitive to indentation;
this means that some operations like copy-paste or inserting a loop can
easily destroy code. And "diff -b" or "diff -w" can't be used reliably.

Also you need to take other things into account:
  * What the language can express and what you need (e.g. closures,
    etc.).
  * The stability of the language (i.e. if features are removed or
    added to new versions).