Re: Transitioning to 64bit, is it worth it, and how

> So I installed a system where / and /boot are not on raid and low and behold
> grub seemed to successfully install the boot sector and I could boot
> the disks.

Making the /boot partition on a RAID is generally not possible with GRUB
(don't know about LILO).  It supposedly can be done if the RAID is just an
MD mirror but I remember there being some caveats.  So I wouldn't be
surprised if the installer doesn't get it right.

> However I now hit the next problem = the installer somehow thought my drives
> were /dev/sde and /dev/sdf  (rather than /dev/sda and /dev/sdb that they
> originally were) so created /etc/fstab, and the grub menu.lst entries
> refering to these drives.  However when booting the new system it expected
> /dev/sda and /dev/sdb and so root failed to mount.  I had to go back into
> the installer and manually edit files in the target system to make it work.

My /etc/fstab doesn't use the /dev/sd* names: all my partitions are either
under LVM (and hence have the names I chose to give them) or are labelled so
that I can use /dev/disk/by-label/*.

In Grub I always use "hd0".

        Stefan