working with two nics (lan and wlan)

Hello,

I have a headless machine on my home network with a LAN card and a wireless card. If my lan cable is connected to its lan card, it gets an IP automatically from my firewall machine. But if I activate the wireless card, the networking seems to hang or freeze. My lan card is on 192.168.0.x network and the wireless card is on 192.168.5.x network.

Is there any way I can have both the cards active and networking working? Perhaps by specifying somewhere which network has the higher priority? This is so because there are many situations where I sometimes want both cards up, mainly while trying out various wireless drivers with my wireless card. Another situation when I want to transfer huge amounts data via the wired network (higher speed) to other machines on the local network.

Alternatively, I suppose ifplugd can handle multiple cards at the same time. In my situations, can it be configured to use wlan card if it is up, else to use the lan card?

Thanks,
->HS