Re: Transitioning to 64bit, is it worth it, and how

On Monday 06 August 2007, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:

> > I am only responding to this particular message in the thread
> > because my computer is still not fully operational and this is the
> > only way (at the moment) to comment on this process.
>
> [snip many woes]
>
> When you ran the installer, did you start from scratch?  Did you
> start by removing your existing partitions?  I don't think you can
> reuse a 32-bit software raid setup on 64-bit (don't know, never
> tried).

I needed to keep my LVM on Raid partition, because that was where my
home was.  That part worked great.  It would seem to me a really bad
idea to not have compatibility between the two.

I only destroyed the /boot and swap partitions whilst I resized them
(inside the partitioner inside the installer), and then told the
partitioner in the installer to set them up as raid (you go into a raid
submenu to create a raid device). The / (root) partition I asked the
installer to reformat, but didn't change it

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk