Re: cups yet again

On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 12:06:25 +0100, graham wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
>> The changelog of the newest Sid version of cupsys gives me the
>> impression that there were some problems with the first Debian packages
>> of the new upstream cups release (version 1.2.12-1, in Lenny right now).
>> Maybe your problem ist just a case of installing at the wrong time. You
>> could try if you can install version 1.2.12-2 of cupsys, cupsys-common,
>> cupsys-client, and libcupsys2 (from Sid). Using "dpkg --purge
>> --force-depends" should allow you to temporarily purge the old packages
>> without removing anything else that depends on cups. This should be safe
>> if you reinstall the new (or old) packages again immediately. (Famous
>> last words...)
>
> I'm starting to think it may be a kernel-related problem somehow. I removed
> cups completely and installed lprng and the foomatic filter. At first this
> gave me exactly the same problem as I had had with cups: using foomatic-gui
> to print a test page produces single lines of gibberish per page.

Then it might be a problem with foomatic-gui. I cannot say anything more
specific since I have never used foomatic-gui.

> I then rebooted again. Now I am unable to get a test page to produce
> anything at all. When I do lpq -P lp0  I get:
>
> graham@dogmatix:~$ lpq -Plp0
> Printer: lp0@dogmatix 'HL5040'
>  Queue: 1 printable job
>  Server: pid 3708 active
>  Unspooler: pid 3709 active

That should be fixable by putting the "lp" module in /etc/modules.

> sleeping 20 at 12:03:42.777
>  Rank   Owner/ID               Pr/Class Job Files      Size Time
> active root@dogmatix+706            A   706 (STDIN)   27719 12:03:32
>

> There is no /dev/lp0. dmesg says:
>
> pnp: the driver 'parport_pc' has been registered
> pnp: match found with the PnP device '00:0c' and the driver 'parport_pc'
> parport: PnPBIOS parport detected.
> parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7, dma 3
> [PCSPP,TRISTATE,COMPAT,EPP,ECP ,DMA]
> parport0: Printer, Brother HL-5040 series
>
> There are no further references to lp0 or parport0
>
> Googling gives me a few vaguely related symptoms; following one of these I
> found the suggestion to modprobe ppdev. My kern.log then showed:
>
>  Aug  7 11:51:56 dogmatix kernel: ppdev: user-space parallel port driver

As far as I know, you need the following modules: parport, parport_pc, lp

> but the symptoms didn't change.
>
> My printcap is:
>
> lp0|HL5040: \
> :lp=/dev/lp0: \
> :force_localhost: \
> :if=/usr/bin/foomatic-rip: \
> :ppd=/usr/local/ppd/Brother-HL-5040-hl1250.ppd: \
> :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp: \
> :mx#0:sh:

It seems to me that your CUPS problem was fixed at some point (you could
print the test page, right?) and then you got bitten by the problem of
the missing lp module after you rebooted. In addition there might be
something wrong with footmatic-gui.

          Florian   |