cups yet again

Yet another cups problem (the one program which makes me feel like I do when running windows - like putting a foot through the computer).

I have a standard printer with a reliable driver (Brother HL5040). It was working using the parallel port on my old PC. Said PC died, replaced it with a new one, installed 64bit lenny. Configured cups for printer, all appears ok (ie. ppd file ok, printer status recognized etc). On printing anything at all (including the test page) all I get is what appears to be misinterpreted postscript. One line of gibberish per page, followed by a page feed. Feels like I've hit a time warp and ended up in 1990.

Any ideas? Logs are quiet. cupsd.conf refers to a /var/run/cups/printcap, which doesn't exist, but says it will be created automatically (there's no /etc/printcap)

Have uninstalled and reinstalled cupsys, no change.

Thanks
Graham