Re: cups yet again

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 18:52:56 +0100, graham wrote:
Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 17:02:07 +0100, graham wrote:
I have a standard printer with a reliable driver (Brother HL5040). It was working using the parallel port on my old PC. Said PC died, replaced it with a new one, installed 64bit lenny. Configured cups for printer, all appears ok (ie. ppd file ok, printer status recognized etc). On printing anything at all (including the test page) all I get is what appears to be misinterpreted postscript. One line of gibberish per page, followed by a page feed.
Post your /etc/cups/printers.conf please. (Watch out, this file can

<snip>

That looks pretty OK to me. There are a few things to check now (post
the results here):

- What are the permissions of /dev/lp0? ("ls -l /dev/lp0") Most likely
  they will be correct since you are allowed to access the printer, but
  it cannot hurt to check.

crw-rw---- 1 root lp 6, 0 2007-08-06 21:39 /dev/lp0

Also, are you a member of the lp and lpadmin   groups?

I was in lp, not lpadmin. Added myself to lpadmin; no change

- Is the printer reported correctly if you run
  /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel
  ?

No:

graham@dogmatix:~$ /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel
direct parallel:/dev/lp0 "Unknown" "LPT #1"

- Has the ppd file been copied to /etc/cups/ppd/HL-5040.ppd?

Yes

The owner should be cupsys, group lp and the permissions should be 0644.

The owner was root.root. Changed this to cupsys.lp and the test page printed ok from the CUPS frontend (tested this once only, since I assumed it was now ok).

However, printing from anything else still gave the same result as before. Tried rebooting (a la windows); the test page no longer prints from the CUPS frontend - the original problem returned.

Suspecting the permissions (everything else in the directory was also root.root or root.lp), I did

chown -R cupsys.lp /etc/cups

but the problem stayed unchanged

Current state:

graham@dogmatix:~$ ls -al /etc/cups/ppd
total 24
drwxr-xr-x 2 cupsys lp  4096 2007-08-06 16:08 .
drwxr-sr-t 5 cupsys lp  4096 2007-08-06 16:08 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 cupsys lp 12517 2007-08-06 16:08 HL-5040.ppd

You can
  check if the file corresponds to the correct driver with:
  grep '^*NickName:' /etc/cups/ppd/HL-5040.ppd

Yes thats fine.

*NickName:      "Brother HL-5040 Foomatic/hl1250 (recommended)"

- The foomatic-filters-ppds package has four different ppd files for the
  Brother HL-5040. Did you try them all?

No, but I don't believe that's the issue. This one has always worked fine for me before (several different systesm, none of which is unfortunately available for comparison).

Thanks for the help

Graham

There is a presumably unrelated second problem: I can send the test page from the server on port 631 ok (though it doesn't actually print correctly), but if I send it from the gnome printer admin applet, the job immediately appears as 'stopped' and I am unable to do anything further till I have removed it.

I don't know the Gnome printing utilities, so I cannot help here. In any
case, we first need to get the test page working when triggered from the
CUPS frontend.