Re: etch installation probs (CD?)

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 09:27:33AM +0100, michael wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 07:41 -0700, Alan Ianson wrote:
> > On Mon July 30 2007 07:10, michael wrote:
> > > Folks, I've a new machine with a "writemaster" CDROM drive. When trying
> > > to install Debian 4.0 from iso image burnt to CD, it initially
> > > recognises the CD and starts the installation but fails at the screen
> > > where the CD drive is to be recognised (for continuing the
> > > installation). I've tried various module/device combos but all to no
> > > avail. I've looked about on Google but not come up with a working
> > > solution.
> > >
> > > Has anybody else successfully uses this CDROM drive to install Debian,
> > > or have suggestions on how I can determine a working module/device
> > > combo. Please let me know if you need any further information.
> >
> > I've installed etch amd64 and i386 successfully many times. I'm not sure what
> > the problem is but you might be able to use the daily install from testing to
> > get going. You can get the it from here..
> >
> > http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/i386/iso-cd/
> >
> > If you get the businesscard iso and boot it in expert mode it will prompt you
> > if you want to install stable, testing or unstable. I would try to install
> > stable and if your successful run "apt-cdrom add" for your cd or dvd images
> > after you boot and install whatever else you want.
> >
> > That image contains nothing but the installer, you need to have an active
> > network connection to install with it.
>
> I've just tried the 'debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso' (build 30 July
> 2007) but it also fails on recognising the CD and network...

I've seen this before on this list. There are some motherboards now
that have changed the way CD's work. Essentially, they are available
as boot devices, but once the boot starts, the CD drive is no longer
available. Something to do with it not being a true IDE interface, but
emulated IDE over SATA or something and then the bios hides it or some
other goblety-gook like that. I don't think changing the CD drive is
going to help one bit.

A few things you could try: booting from USB with some kind of
bootable media with the installer on it there; dragging the harddrive
to a different machine and donig the base install there and then
completing it on the new machine (warning, this may require more than
just an install -- you may need to build special initrd's to include
_ALL_ modules to boot on the new machine); scrounge a floppy drive and
use the netinstall floppies to get yourself going; setting up the
installer on a network and netbooting into it.

Can you get a live-cd to boot? I'd be surprised as I assume they
suffer from the same problem, but if you could get one to go, then use
debootstrap to install.

There may be other solutions, but that's what I've got.

good luck