problems installing with 'writemaster' CDROM

Folks, I've a new machine with a "writemaster" CDROM drive. When trying
to install Debian 4.0 from iso image burnt to CD, it initially
recognises the CD and starts the installation but fails at the screen
where the CD drive is to be recognised (for continuing the
installation). I've tried various module/device combos but all to no
avail. I've looked about on Google but not come up with a working
solution.

Has anybody else successfully uses this CDROM drive to install Debian,
or have suggestions on how I can determine a working module/device
combo. Please let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks, Michael