Re: libraries in debian BROKEN by working with Adobe SVG

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 11:09:53PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > stuseven wrote:
> > > My question is:  what libraries need to be refreshed or replaced
> > > to get Inkscape in Debian working again ?  Note - reinstalling
> > > Inkscape does not fix this problem.
> >
> > no, you need to reinstall its dependencies, most likely.
> >
> > My bash/sed/awk foo is pretty weak, but this produces what I think are
> > the desired results:
> > apt-cache depends inkscape | awk '/Depends/{ print $2 }' | xargs \
> > aptitude reinstall
>
> Additionally it might be useful to check 'debsums' to see if it can
> detect if there is corruption of other files.
>
>   apt-get install debsums
>
>   debsums -c
>
> Unfortunately not all packages contain md5sums (24 miss the
> information on my system, see 'debsums -l') but for those that do this
> is useful to detect inadvertant system changes.  Newly installed or
> reinstalled packages will have debsums generated upon installation.
> You might want 'sudo apt-get install --reinstall $(debsums -l)' to
> force all packages to keep an md5sum.

Good point Bob. And the others, of course, are right that this points
to either a config file corruption _or_ some _serious_ problems if
running inkscape can cause system damage. I got distracted by the
problem of how to reinstll the whole batch of packages.