libraries in debian BROKEN by working with Adobe SVG

I posted to the Inkscape forum about this, but so far with no replies...
the problem - and this will be the 2nd time... I forgot my oath of a
year ago never to load Adobe SVG into Inkscape...
  ...when I did this yesterday, Inkscape suddenly is unable to
draw simple geometrics... square / ellipse / stars... and the same
library affects several other SVG capable applications.

My question is:  what libraries need to be refreshed or replaced
to get Inkscape in Debian working again ?  Note - reinstalling
Inkscape does not fix this problem.

Id much prefer reinstalling libraries than wiping my drive and doing
an entire debian reinstall, but will do that unless somebody can
suggest what libraries to replace.

thanks