Re: libraries in debian BROKEN by working with Adobe SVG

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 04:30:40PM -0700, stuseven wrote:

> I posted to the Inkscape forum about this, but so far with no replies...
> the problem - and this will be the 2nd time... I forgot my oath of a
> year ago never to load Adobe SVG into Inkscape...
>   ...when I did this yesterday, Inkscape suddenly is unable to
> draw simple geometrics... square / ellipse / stars... and the same
> library affects several other SVG capable applications.
>
> My question is:  what libraries need to be refreshed or replaced
> to get Inkscape in Debian working again ?  Note - reinstalling
> Inkscape does not fix this problem.

no, you need to reinstall its dependencies, most likely.

My bash/sed/awk foo is pretty weak, but this produces what I think are
the desired results:

andrew@basement:~$ apt-cache show inkscape | grep -i depends |  sed -e
's/,/\n/g' -e 's/Depends://' | awk ' {print $1} ' | xargs aptitude -s
reinstall

note that's all on one line and I've left in the aptitude -s parameter
to simulate the reinstall. It looks pretty good to me. Maybe florian
or some other awk/sed junky can clean that up for me.

ps. what it does: shows the description of inkscape, greps out the
depends line, turns the commas into newlines and gets rid of the work
"Depends:", selects just the name of the package, not the version
numbers, and pipes it all to aptitude reinstall.