XSane protection (?) problem

Under 2.6.21.5 kernel, xsane works fine.  Under 2.6.22, it cannot find my
scanner ... but if I try it as root, xsane works again (with a dire warning
about running as root).

Thought it was a protection problem.  Thought I could fix it.  Hah!

/etc/udev/libsane.rules includes my scanner (Epson Perfection 2400), sez
MODE="664", GROUP="scanner".  I verified that my user account was in the
scanner group.  It is.  When I plug in the scanner, three new usb devices
appear: /dev/usbdev5.2-ep00, -ep02, -ep81.  All three are 660 root:root.  I
changed them to 664 root:scanner.  xsane still doesn't work.

I looked also at /lib/libusb, /usr/lib/libsane and the epson files
in /usr/lib/sane.  None had 664 root:scanner and setting these didn't solve
the problem ether.  Considered logging in as root from now on.

I put everything back as it was.  I removed and then apt-get installed sane
and xsane.  Still doesn't work except as root ... or reboot with 2.6.21.5
and all is well.

The literature talks about setting the proper protection, but not which
file(s).  I am stumped, lack any advanced degrees in computer science, need
a hint.  Thanks!