[OT] Mathematics and the uselessness of numbers (was Re: Help buying Economic Printer)

On 07/11/07 18:44, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 10:31:29PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 07/10/07 22:21, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:

I thought you established that it doesn't get hot in Canada.

Well, I'm almost in canada and it's 104F (40C) here today with 106F (41C) tomorrow
and saturday. But, as was already said, at least its a dry heat.
So much for our 85F (29C) average...

That's why it's called an *average*.

Because people (even, apparently, smart people like you) seem to fixate on that "average" number and think that "because that's the average, that's what the temperature is supposed to be", weather sites should *not* post average, but *should* post the *range* of temperatures 1 STDDEV above and below the average.

I'm an American, remember? I only care about what's happening in my neighborhood.

So, what is happening there? Mine's mostly overgrown as its to
freakin' hot to mow... and my wife made me lose the chickens who had
been keeping it cut down pretty well...

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA