Re: [OT] Mathematics and the uselessness of numbers (was Re: Help buying Economic Printer)

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 11:40:11AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 07/11/07 18:44, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>> Well, I'm almost in canada and it's 104F (40C) here today with 106F (41C)
>> tomorrow
>> and saturday. But, as was already said, at least its a dry heat. So much
>> for our 85F (29C) average...
>
> That's why it's called an *average*.
>
> Because people (even, apparently, smart people like you) seem to fixate on
> that "average" number and think that "because that's the average, that's
> what the temperature is supposed to be", weather sites should *not* post
> average, but *should* post the *range* of temperatures 1 STDDEV above and
> below the average.

please Ron. I'm fully aware of what an average is and was merely jumping on the "let's
discuss random weather stuff" band-wagon and having a little fun.

sheesh.

I agree though that the range of temperatures would be really nice to
see. The high and low with 1 stddev above and below each would
actually be useful information.

so it goes and cheers...