Re: Installing a JRE plug-in

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 00:59:02 -0400
Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:

[snipped discussion about the need for client side Java]

> The funny thing is that there are times when it is nice.  For example,
> some companies have very restrictive policies about downloading
> executables.  Specifically, I once needed something to help me do some
> quick Karnaugh maps.  I found a neat little binary freeware thingy out
> there that was very simple.  Of course, it was against policy at the
> place I was at to download and run it.  However, I kept searching until
> I found a site that a Java applet that did the same thing.  That time it
> was OK, since I was not downloading and executing the program (the
> browser was).  I guess that many corporate IT types don't see what a
> gaping hole that is, but it is sufficient to get around a lot of brain
> damage.

I've found a similar use for client side Java on public access
terminals that restrict software downloads but may allow Java.  For
example, many of the solutions for doing ssh from a web browser involve
a client side Java applet.  [Yes, I know that ssh from a public
terminal is inherently and unfixably insecure.]

[snip]

> However, on the whole, you are right that most times it is just done
> wrong. Much like flash.

AOL!

> Regards,
>
> -Roberto