Re: Installing a JRE plug-in

On Sat, Jul 07, 2007 at 08:47:29PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> > You are right.  But those websites do you use Java.  I think the
> > confusion was that you did not specify client-side versus server-side.
> > Those are two different things.  Your statement appears to cover both.
>
> You are correct that the JSP server runs Java.  I don't really have a
> concern about server side JSP processes, no more so than ASP sites.
> As long as the result is standard browser neutral pages then the
> server can be written in any language.  (There tends to be an inverse
> correlation there with some server side processes however. :-)
>
> Sorry for not being explicit about client versus server.  Since I was
> referencing my laptop and web surfing I thought the context was known
> but that was a bad assumption on my part.  I was intending to be
> referring to plugins in a client side web browser.  I will try to be
> more precise in the future.  Thanks for keeping me accurate.

It was partially my fault for jumping mid-thread.

> To summarize my point I believe that few if any wide use consumer web
> sites require Java in the client web browser.  For example none of my
> online banking sites require it and I can count up six or seven of
> those.  I did not even notice that I did not have it installed.  I
> personally have only seen Java apps within corporate sites meant for
> internal use.  I realize that this does not mean that they don't exist
> in the wild but just that in my use model I am not visiting sites that
> require it.  But because of this I believe that the number of them
> must be small.  Probably to avoid the Java installation consumer
> support problems.  I imagine it lowers their customer support issues
> to avoid it.

The funny thing is that there are times when it is nice.  For example,
some companies have very restrictive policies about downloading
executables.  Specifically, I once needed something to help me do some
quick Karnaugh maps.  I found a neat little binary freeware thingy out
there that was very simple.  Of course, it was against policy at the
place I was at to download and run it.  However, I kept searching until
I found a site that a Java applet that did the same thing.  That time it
was OK, since I was not downloading and executing the program (the
browser was).  I guess that many corporate IT types don't see what a
gaping hole that is, but it is sufficient to get around a lot of brain
damage.

Another good one that I encountered was at the US Census Bureau website.
They had a neet Java applet that would let you build structured queries
into their database in a fairly simple say.  It wasn't the best UI in
the world.  However, it was quick and simple enough to use.

However, on the whole, you are right that most times it is just done
wrong. Much like flash.

Regards,

-Roberto

--