Re: Installing a JRE plug-in

Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> You are right.  But those websites do you use Java.  I think the
> confusion was that you did not specify client-side versus server-side.
> Those are two different things.  Your statement appears to cover both.

You are correct that the JSP server runs Java.  I don't really have a
concern about server side JSP processes, no more so than ASP sites.
As long as the result is standard browser neutral pages then the
server can be written in any language.  (There tends to be an inverse
correlation there with some server side processes however. :-)

Sorry for not being explicit about client versus server.  Since I was
referencing my laptop and web surfing I thought the context was known
but that was a bad assumption on my part.  I was intending to be
referring to plugins in a client side web browser.  I will try to be
more precise in the future.  Thanks for keeping me accurate.

To summarize my point I believe that few if any wide use consumer web
sites require Java in the client web browser.  For example none of my
online banking sites require it and I can count up six or seven of
those.  I did not even notice that I did not have it installed.  I
personally have only seen Java apps within corporate sites meant for
internal use.  I realize that this does not mean that they don't exist
in the wild but just that in my use model I am not visiting sites that
require it.  But because of this I believe that the number of them
must be small.  Probably to avoid the Java installation consumer
support problems.  I imagine it lowers their customer support issues
to avoid it.

Bob