Re: dist-upgrade problem

Zach wrote:

> On 7/8/07, Jonathan Kaye <jdkaye10@yahoo.es> wrote:
>> 1. In your /etc/apt folder create a file called "preferences" which looks
>> something like this
>> Package: *
>> Pin: release o=Debian,a=unstable
>> Pin-Priority: 600
>>
>> Package: *
>> Pin: release o=Debian,a=testing
>> Pin-Priority: 650
>
> What do the numbers represent? Do I need to add the first entry which
> has "a=unstable" even though I run testing?
Yes! The preference file is allowing you to establish an order: 1. testing
(higher number 650 yes?) then unstable (lower number 600, yes?).

>> 2. If you want something from Sid (unstable) then do this:
>> aptitude -t unstable install <name of package you want from Sid>
>
> What if I want to do it in testing not unstable? I run only testing
> (lenny?)
Then you don't use the -t switch. If you type aptitude install <package
name>, then it will install that package from testing. You use this for
individual packages that you wish to install not for general upgrading.
That you do as before.

>> That's it. aptitude (apt-get) will default to testing unless you specify
>> otherwise.
>
> Ah, but I don't use aptitude I just use apt-get on command line. :-)

I use aptitude as command line. You get an aptitude gui only if you use it
w/o arguments otherwise it's command line and that's the way I use it.
Cheers,
Jonathan