Re: dist-upgrade problem

On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 11:21:39AM +0200, Jonathan Kaye <jdkaye10@yahoo.es> was heard to say:
> Zach wrote:
> I think you can mark them as "hold" as in aptitude hold texlive.
> I still don't know why you want to do a dist-upgrade rather than a simple
> upgrade as a matter of routine. Have you tried doing just aptitude upgrade
> and see if it still wants to install texlive? I would use dist-upgrade if I
> were going from Etch to Lenny for example. dist-upgrade is more agressive
> than upgrade about what it chooses to upgrade. Try reading the manual for a
> better description than mine.

  "upgrade" is extremely conservative and will bail if it encounters
even something as trivial as a new dependency that needs to be
installed.  "dist-upgrade" is a much better alternative if you're
tracking unstable or testing; with "upgrade", many of your packages
will simply refuse to upgrade.

  Daniel