Re: dist-upgrade problem

Zach wrote:

> On 7/8/07, Jonathan Kaye <jdkaye10@yahoo.es> wrote:
>> Just today I
>> wanted to upgrade amarok to 1.4.6 and as a result installed newer
>> versions of a couple of other packages. That certainly unblocked things
>> because when I did my normal upgrade I had 193 upgrades to make. I take
>> this to be normal. If I'm in a rush for a newer version (as today) I can
>> alt-pin it or
>
> How do you alt-pin? I've seen this before where I wanted to upgrade
> just one package but `apt-get upgrade` would install many. It would be
> cool to only upgrde what I wanted at the time.
>
> Zach
1. In your /etc/apt folder create a file called "preferences" which looks
something like this
Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 600

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=testing
Pin-Priority: 650

2. If you want something from Sid (unstable) then do this:
aptitude -t unstable install <name of package you want from Sid>

That's it. aptitude (apt-get) will default to testing unless you specify
otherwise.
Cheers,
Jonathan