Re: How to change the default GTK input method?

Cassiano Bertol Leal escreveu:
> Jan Willem Stumpel escreveu:
>>> Soooo, my question is: is there a way I can set my DEFAULT input
>>> method to this cedilla thing, and never have to worry about
>>> accenting a c again?
>> Don't know if it can be done, even if it could, the "Cedilla
>> Immodule" only works in GTK programs, and not in all of them at
>> that. You must do it in another way, with xkb and Compose.
>
> This is what I want. To change only GTK programs' behaviour, since it
> works perfectly fine for everything else.
>
> I don't really know why GTK has to be different from anything else in
> the world, defaulting ´+c to an accute 'c'. Winblows' US-International
> keymap does c-cedilla. xim's default input method for us_intl defaults
> to c-cedilla. (this is as far as my experience goes, but it seems like a
> standard to me)
>
>> What is your locale? (Output of locale command). What is your
>> keyboard? (Output of setxkbmap -print command).
>> If the locale is pt_BR.UTF-8, and the keyboard is us (alt_intl),
>> you would already have the desired behaviour (in all programs
>> under X, not only GTK programs). So I suppose it is something else.
>
> It's en_GB.UTF-8
>
>> If your locale is en_US.UTF-8, you can get the behaviour that you
>> want by putting a file called .XCompose in your home directory
>> with the following contents:
>
>>   include "/usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose"
>>   <dead_acute> <C>        : "Ç" Ccedilla
>>   <dead_acute> <c>        : "ç" ccedilla
>
>> Then restart X.
>
> Don't really want to mess around with these files. I really don't
> understand why it should be so difficult to change the IM to default to
> Cedilla, since it is already there! If only it was possible to change it
> in all applications via context menu, it wouldn't be that annoying, but
> it is particularly difficult to type in portuguese in programs like
> iceweasel or icedove (which is my MUA, so imagine that)...
>
>> If your locale is an iso8859-1 one, you must put "\307" instead of
>> "Ç", and "\347" instead of "ç".
>
>> Regards, Jan
>
> Thanks for your thoughts, but I'll look further ahead for a better
> solution, if there is one.
>
> I was also recommended to put 'LC_ALL=pt_BR' in /etc/environment. Are
> there any side effects to this?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Cheers,
> Cassiano Leal

Just for the record, in case other people who write in portuguese needs
it, it will be in the archives.

Putting GTK_IM_MODULE=xim in /etc/environment did the trick.

Now I can use my US keyboard to type in portuguese in the same way I had
always done.

Cheers,
Cassiano Leal