Re: How to change the default GTK input method?

Jan Willem Stumpel escreveu:
>> Soooo, my question is: is there a way I can set my DEFAULT input
>> method to this cedilla thing, and never have to worry about
>> accenting a c again?
>
> Don't know if it can be done, even if it could, the "Cedilla
> Immodule" only works in GTK programs, and not in all of them at
> that. You must do it in another way, with xkb and Compose.

This is what I want. To change only GTK programs' behaviour, since it
works perfectly fine for everything else.

I don't really know why GTK has to be different from anything else in
the world, defaulting ´+c to an accute 'c'. Winblows' US-International
keymap does c-cedilla. xim's default input method for us_intl defaults
to c-cedilla. (this is as far as my experience goes, but it seems like a
standard to me)

> What is your locale? (Output of locale command). What is your
> keyboard? (Output of setxkbmap -print command).
> If the locale is pt_BR.UTF-8, and the keyboard is us (alt_intl),
> you would already have the desired behaviour (in all programs
> under X, not only GTK programs). So I suppose it is something else.

It's en_GB.UTF-8

> If your locale is en_US.UTF-8, you can get the behaviour that you
> want by putting a file called .XCompose in your home directory
> with the following contents:
>
>   include "/usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose"
>   <dead_acute> <C>        : "Ç" Ccedilla
>   <dead_acute> <c>        : "ç" ccedilla
>
> Then restart X.

Don't really want to mess around with these files. I really don't
understand why it should be so difficult to change the IM to default to
Cedilla, since it is already there! If only it was possible to change it
in all applications via context menu, it wouldn't be that annoying, but
it is particularly difficult to type in portuguese in programs like
iceweasel or icedove (which is my MUA, so imagine that)...

> If your locale is an iso8859-1 one, you must put "\307" instead of
> "Ç", and "\347" instead of "ç".
>
> Regards, Jan

Thanks for your thoughts, but I'll look further ahead for a better
solution, if there is one.

I was also recommended to put 'LC_ALL=pt_BR' in /etc/environment. Are
there any side effects to this?

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Cassiano Leal