Re: problems with radeon driver (solved)

On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 14:26 -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running etch in an amd64 system with an ATI Radeon Mobility 9200
> (AGP) video card. The ATI driver from x.org doesn't work with this card,
> after a small GUI activity, the screen freezes. I've reported this
> problem in the past. The only workaround I've found was to install the
> fglrx-driver package, run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and select the
> fglrx driver instead the ati one. No more video freezes. But now totem
> doesn't start, I get the message: The Application "totem" has quit
> unexpectedly. This problem has to do exclusively with the fglrx driver.
> I experimented with the ati and fglrx drivers in another i386 machine,
> and totem didn't start with the fglrx driver. It works fine with the ati
> driver from x.org.

After a *lot* of googling, I discovered that the problem with the xorg
driver is the glx module. Disabling it I can use the xorg ati driver
without problems. And I can run totem and grace too! (they didn't work
with the driver from ATI) fortunately the machine is only for work, so I
can do perfectly well without the glx module... I guess

Regards

Marcelo

--
Marcelo Chiapparini