Re: What's this error message telling me?

On Sunday 17 June 2007 19:21, Telly Williams wrote:
> Here's what I get:
>
> telly@ephome:~$ su
> Password:
> ephome:/home/telly# apt-get upgrade
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> 3 not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0B of archives.
> After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
> Setting up slib (3a4-4) ...
> /usr/bin/guile-1.6: error while loading shared libraries:
> libqthreads.so.12: cannot enable executable stack as shared object
> requires: Permission denied
> dpkg: error processing slib (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of guile-1.6-slib:
>  guile-1.6-slib depends on slib (>= 3a2-3); however:
>   Package slib is not configured yet.
> dpkg: error processing guile-1.6-slib (--configure):
>  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of g-wrap:
>  g-wrap depends on guile-1.6-slib; however:
>   Package guile-1.6-slib is not configured yet.
> dpkg: error processing g-wrap (--configure):
>  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>  slib
>  guile-1.6-slib
>  g-wrap
>
>     I tried to install slib, guile-1.6, guile-1.6-slib.  I get the same
> error each
> time.  I tried to install gnucash and that's how I first got this
> error.  I can't
> even use openoffice (it won't run).  The guile-1.6-libs won't install
> either.
> What am I missing here?  ~Telly

Not sure, but you want to sort out the 3 packages that are showing as not
fully installed or removed. Run dpkg -C as root to see which these packages
are.

I've had this problem recently with hal. The update process hadn't stopped the
hal daemon before applying the update, then complained that it couldn't start
hald because it was already running. If hal or openbsd-inetd are listed, stop
the daemons with.
/etc/init.d/hal stop
and
/etc/init.d/openbsd-inetd stop

Same goes for your 3rd problem package, but I've only had these two.

Next. Either run as root, apt-get dist-upgrade again, or alternatively.
dpkg --configure hal
then
dpkg --configure openbsd-inetd

Both should complete, and restart the daemons.

Nigel.