Re: Printing with lprng; no CUPS! :-)

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 10:50:58PM +1000, CaT wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 08:17:45AM -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> > Could some of that problem be having aptitude treat recommends as
> > required?
>
> Or something similar. I gave up on aptitude within a few minutes of
> trying to use it during my upgrade to sarge. It completely refused to,
> getting lost in a mess of its own design (or so it seemed). apt-get just
> did as it was told and no more and it all went smoothly.

Probably the absolutely worst time to try to switch to aptitude.  It
didn't know what was manually installed, installed to meet dependancies,
or what.  Aptitude starts out confused (like HAL, it can only sing Daisy
Daisy).

> > On my main box, I currently have no print spooler.  However, there is a
> > driver in the gs-esp package that will print postscript on my dot-matrix
> > printer.  That gs does require libcupsys2 and libcupsimage2; between the
> > two that's 565k uncompressed size.  Nothing else that I have installed
> > requires anything related to cups.
>
> There's also the gs-gpl package which does not.

Doesn't include the ML-whatever OkiData driver for my IBM Personal
Computer Graphics Printer (the one pictured with the 'New' IBM PC in
history books).

Doug.