Re: Printing with lprng; no CUPS! :-)

CaT <cat@zip.com.au>:
>  On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 10:36:57PM +0000, s. keeling wrote:
> > This is on Etch with "Desktop Environment" de-selected on install (no
> > Gnome or KDE :-).  Perhaps my mistake was in installing xserver-xorg
> > before printer configuration.  Surely then, it would notice there'd be
> > no web browser it could be configured with?  Or can you [configure] CUPS
> > with w3m?  :-P
>
>  You can configure CUPS not just with w3m but also with vim. :)

Sorry to hear that.

> > aptitude -R install foomatic-filters-ppds
>
>  And what does apt-get install foomatic-filters-ppds get you?

   -------------------------------
(0) heretic /home/keeling_ dpkg -L foomatic-filters-ppds | wc -l
2696
   -------------------------------

So, perhaps ca. two thousand, six hundred, and ninety five files which
have nothing to do with my printer?  At least they're all gzipped ...

> > The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
> > Considering all the confusion and myriad pleas from people trying to
> > get CUPS working on their systems, should we really be going down this
> > road?  CUPS has made a mess of printer configuration.
>
>  It has? WFM. First go too.

Good for you, I'm glad for you; and irrelevant.  Yes, CUPS works.
What if you don't want to use CUPS?  Have you not seen all the posts
from noobs pleading for help with CUPS configs?  I'm supporting a
person who's using CUPS.  Going to the CUPS localhost:631 port gets us
a username & password prompt, and even root password is refused (*buntu).

BTW, see my .sig, please.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling          Linux Counter #80292