Re: Printing with lprng; no CUPS! :-)

On 06/14/07 16:19, s. keeling wrote:
Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es>:
 On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 17:21:50 +0000, s. keeling wrote:
Damned near
everything drags in CUPS.  I already had lprng installed, and
foomatic-* wanted to remove it and install CUPS.  Should I just
 Is it really that bad as far as CUPS is concerned? I have stable,

  ---------------------------------------
(0) heretic /home/keeling_ aptitude show foomatic-gui
Package: foomatic-gui
State: not installed
Version: 0.7.7
  ---------------------------------------

Note, I have python-foomatic installed.  I don't see cupsys in there
anywhere.

  ---------------------------------------
(0) heretic /home/keeling_ aptitude -s install foomatic-gui
The following packages will be automatically REMOVED:
  lprng
  aspell aspell-en binutils cpp cpp-4.1 cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-client cupsys-common
  esound-clients esound-common fam foomatic-gui gcc gcc-4.1 gconf2 gconf2-common gksu
[snip]
  pkg-config poppler-utils python-cairo python-glade2 python-gnome2
  python-gnome2-desktop python-gnome2-extras python-gtk2 python-numeric
  python-pyorbit samba-common sgml-base shared-mime-info smbclient sudo tdb-dev
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  lprng
0 packages upgraded, 145 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 17.7MB/57.0MB of archives. After unpacking 201MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] n

I rest my case.

No wonder it wanted to pull in 145 packages: you're a text mode octogenarian! You're probably also running NetBSD on a VAX 11/785.

Those of us not pining away for a VT101 on our desks already have the needed dependencies installed.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA