Re: Printing with lprng; no CUPS! :-)

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 01:29:49AM +0000, s. keeling wrote:
> > > aptitude -R install foomatic-filters-ppds
> >
> >  And what does apt-get install foomatic-filters-ppds get you?
>
>    -------------------------------
> (0) heretic /home/keeling_ dpkg -L foomatic-filters-ppds | wc -l
> 2696

That doesn't answer my question when taken in the context of your
original statement.

> So, perhaps ca. two thousand, six hundred, and ninety five files which
> have nothing to do with my printer?  At least they're all gzipped ...

Lets see... it has printer ppds and a bit of documentation. Precisely
what you asked it to install. Sure, they could split it up to 2700
packages but I think the maintainer felt it was more manageable this
way.

> > > The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
> > > Considering all the confusion and myriad pleas from people trying to
> > > get CUPS working on their systems, should we really be going down this
> > > road?  CUPS has made a mess of printer configuration.
> >
> >  It has? WFM. First go too.
>
> Good for you, I'm glad for you; and irrelevant.  Yes, CUPS works.
> What if you don't want to use CUPS?  Have you not seen all the posts

Then don't use it.

> from noobs pleading for help with CUPS configs?  I'm supporting a
> person who's using CUPS.  Going to the CUPS localhost:631 port gets us
> a username & password prompt, and even root password is refused (*buntu).

Ubuntus configuration of CUPS is prettymuch irrelevant on a debian mailing
list.

Debians configuration of CUPS and its web based configuration allows me
to use the root password to configure and manage it.

--
    "To the extent that we overreact, we proffer the terrorists the
    greatest tribute."